Thursday, October 22, 2009

Lizards, Manliness, and the Advent of Christ

Since Sterling and I are so long in between updates, I decided to put up mini 'lessons' that I learn here. This is for those of you who are exasperated with our seeming lack of interest in sharing our island experiences. Hopefully, these 'lessons' will be enough for you in between posts. I've been studying my Bible a lot lately, and this message sort of jumped into my arms. With nothing better to do with it, I'm passing it along. The message? God is coming soon.


A week ago Saturday, during youth Sabbath school under the Koyeng at the church, a little egg fell from the sky and hit the ground, the product of shoddy nest-making and the call of gravity. Random. As Katherine, whose heart was once tied to being a veterinary doctor, dissected the small embryo that was once in a shell, we discovered it used to be a premature lizard. Or rather, it still was, as evidenced by its beating heart.


My being not-too-phased about this development was not the product of a manly man's calloused heart. Rather, it was the product of a boy whose body and heart aren't manly. Let me explain. Doubtless, all of you have seen a lizard before. You know how they can look extremely pretty or be as drab as a toenail. Well you also know how they do push-ups, seemingly randomly. A scientist, or perhaps an elementary teacher, would wonder, 'Why do lizards do push-ups, seemingly randomly?' I instead wonder, 'Why can these lizards do more push-ups than I can, seemingly randomly?' Each of these lizards, in all their abundance, can do more push-ups than I can. These insignificant reptiles, of which I could casually peel off of a hot asphalt road, or see in the maw of a proud cat, can do more push-ups than I can. It doesn't help that they do the push-ups naked on hot rocks under the sun. What is that all about?


Fast forward to last Friday, when I opened the back door to be greeted by an egg falling from the sky onto the ground in front of me. Random. Still in an early-morning stupor, it took me a while to compute this simple fact. 'This can't be another lizard egg ... unless we have komodo dragons here ... look, it has a purple stamp ... it's obviously a chicken egg ... why are the chickens constructing nests above our door?' At last, I think to look up. There, an elaborate system of strings and meticulously-folded notecards told me that this was not like the time when the lizard egg fell. No, this was intentional. The girls had tried to play a prank on us. Lucky for me, I move slowly in the morning and avoided both walking under the falling egg and making the other egg fall.


As I stated earlier. God is coming soon. This no new revelation, but true nonetheless. The Bible also informs us that He will come unexpectedly. 'Like a thief in the night.' It might not be in our lifetime, but it is still true that no one knows the day or hour when God and a host of angels will descend on the Earth, so we need to be ready regardless.


Christ will come when we least expect it, at random. Much like a thief in the night. Or perhaps an egg falling from the sky.


1 comment:

  1. Just think of it this way: those teeny lizards that are doing all those push ups? They weigh about an ounce (maybe two if they're big eaters). Figure out how many ounces you weigh and divide the number of push ups you can do by that number. Feel better?

    ReplyDelete